Minnesota Rule 8420.0520 states that LGUs must not approve a wetland replacement plan unless the applicant has demonstrated that the proposed wetland impacts comply with the following principles in descending order of priority:
1. Avoid direct or indirect impacts that may destroy or diminish the wetland.
2. Minimize wetland impacts by limiting the degree or magnitude of the wetland activity.
3. Rectify wetland impacts by repairing, rehabilitating, or restoring the affected wetland.
4. Reduce or eliminate impacts over time by operating the project in a manner that preserves/maintains the wetland.
5. Replace unavoidable wetland impacts by restoring wetlands or creating wetlands of equal or greater public value.