Each year, Anoka Conservation District (ACD) supervisors consider the work we've done in partnership with landowners, cities, private sector partners, and other organizations to complete natural resources conservation work in Anoka County. The list is distilled down to a single conservation partner who most emulates a conservation ethic put to action. That individual or entity is acknowledged as Anoka County's Outstanding Conservationist. The 2021 Anoka County Outstanding Conservationist is the City of Anoka.
The projects the City of Anoka implemented in partnership with ACD and on their own over the years have demonstrated an enduring commitment to both steward and enjoy our natural resources.
The following list of conservation initiatives completed by, or in partnership with, the City of Anoka demonstrates their breadth of commitment;
- Donation of a conservation easement to ACD on the 200-acre Anoka Nature Preserve (ANP).
- Enhancement of 70 acres of forest habitats on ANP with buckthorn control.
- Sponsoring annual goose hunts at ANP for veterans.
- Construction of the state of the art stormwater treatment facility at the Rum River boat launch.
- Installation of several stormwater treatment hydrodynamic separators.
- Installation of five rain gardens.
- Stabilization of 300 feet of riverbank at Rum River shores.
- Stabilization of 1,500 feet of riverbank at Mississippi Community Park
- Enhancement of bank stability on 350 feet of Rum River shoreline with cedar tree revetments on school property with the city trail easement
- Enhancement of floodplain forest at Kings Island Park
- Wetland enhancement at the ANP
- Subwatershed retrofit modeling and analysis on 1,500 acres of city-scape.
This acknowledgment is part of a larger program, wherein SWCD's from throughout MN submit their outstanding conservationists to the MN Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts in nomination for the MN State Outstanding Conservationist. In early December, at their annual convention each outstanding conservationist is recognized during a large banquet whereat they will also unveil the state winner.
Congratulations on this well-deserved award and thanks go to the City of Anoka council and staff for all they have done. ACD staff and supervisors genuinely look forward to partnering with the City of Anoka on projects in the future.